Click here for previous Stadia
The following text is taken from the book, Football Grounds, and was written by Cassandra Wells.
“Arsenal started life as a team called Dial Square in 1886, based in Woolwich, south-east London. They changed their name to Royal Arsenal in 1887 and to Woolwich Arsenal in 1891. Their early games were played on Woolwich Common but they moved to Manor Field in 1888, where they remained for the next 26 years. Despite being successful in the League, which they joined in 1893, their gates were low and they went into voluntary liquidation in 1910. Henry Norris, owner of Fulham Football Club, bought the struggling club and moved them to Highbury, north London, in 1913 much to the annoyance of their neighbours Spurs and Clapton Orient. After WWI Arsenal re-joined the First Division, where they have remained since 1919. Architect Claude Waterlow Ferrier was commissioned to design a stadium for Arsenal and he set about using an Art Deco style for the ground. In 1931 he extended the terraces at each end and began building the West Stand. The 1930s saw success on the pitch; Arsenal won the League five times and the FA Cup twice. In 1935 an AFC monogrammed roof was added to the Laundry End Terrace; in the same season a record attendance of 73,295 turned out to see Arsenal take on Sunderland. In 1936 the East Stand was replaced and looked almost identical to Ferrier’s West Stand. The 1970s saw more seats installed at Highbury and further development came in the 1980s when the club added executive boxes to the Clock End. In 1991 the club drew up plans to rebuild the North Stand to increase capacity. The club had to play in front of just three stands in the 1992-93 season as the bulldozers moved in and a mural took the place of the fans on the North Bank. The new two-tiered North Stand opened in 1993. The Clock End and the East and West Terraces were next to be developed bringing a total capacity of 38,500 all-seated. At the beginning of the 2006-07 season Arsenal moved into the new Emirates Stadium. The new ground, just five minutes from Highbury at Ashburton Grove, consists of a four-tiered bowl with an all-seater capacity of 60,432”.
© Soccer Nostalgia
Design: David Ainsworth